Prepare for a butt kickin’ hike with an incredible view.
The Superstition Mountains, located near Apache Junction, Arizona, offer an abundance of beautiful hiking trails. Though one trail stands out among the rest; Flatiron via Siphon Draw Trail.
Here is all you need to know before your hike to Flatiron – Siphon Draw Trail.
The trail to Flatiron (including Siphon Draw Trail) is 5.5 miles out and back, easily making it a day hike for both locals and tourists alike. Siphon Draw is where most people stop and admire the beauty within the mountain. If you’re lucky you may see a little steam of water falling through the crevice of the rocks.
The path to Siphon Draw is particularly great for any level hiker, however the hike to Flatiron is highly recommended for experienced hikers only.
Flatiron is an extended trail through Siphon Draw which leads you to the highest plateau of the mountain. The trail suddenly becomes more steep and soon rock climbing becomes a part of your journey. There will be several spots where you will need to use both hands and feet to climb your way up crevasses as well as places with vertical climbs to ascend.
Do not give up! The top of Flatiron shows incredible views of the valley below and offers an overwhelming feeling of freedom. Try to find Camelback Mountain from the top of Flatiron – you’ll realize how much higher up you are!
– Need to Know –
Flatiron is recommended for experienced hikers only. It can be extremely dangerous otherwise.
It is easy to loose track of the trail – follow/communicate with the people around you.
Plan on spending up to 5 hours on this hike – the hours depend on your speed.
Dogs are welcome on this trail though will need assistance towards the top.
Start the hike at sunrise to beat traffic and the heat.
Here is what you will need:
- Gloves – you will guarantee be using your hands throughout this hike. The rocks tend to be cold and/or slippery.
- Water – take more water than you think you may need. I say 3 to 4 bottles worth.
- Camelbak – this will hold all of your water, snacks, tissues, etc.
- Snacks – I suggest One Bars, banana and peanut butter, trail mix, etc.
- Hiking Poles – these hiking poles will ensure an easier hike for you.
- Shoes – the proper footing on this hike is NECESSARY! I highly recommend these Saucony Trail Running shoes or any shoe with valuable grip.
Tag me in your photos on Instagram @southwestsampler when you’ve reached 3,000 ft in the clouds! I would love to share your adventure with others.
Looking forward to your adventure.
xoxo ♥ AB