Whether you’re an Arizona local or an adventurous tourist, a great way to start the weekend is to get your fix of the outdoors followed by a delicious locally brewed beer.
Here are some of the best hikes, nearby breweries and local craft beers in Phoenix, Arizona.
– Piestewa Peak –
Piestewa Peak Trail is a 2.3 mile out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona. This trail will get your heart rate up in an instant – perfect for the weekend calorie intake ahead of you.
HIKING LEVEL: Moderate
HIKING ACTIVITY: Bring a favorite local craft beer to the summit with you to sip on! Here is a list of local nearby breweries that sell their cans to-go:
- Helton Brewing Co – great selection of Sours and IPA’s
- Wren House Brewing Co – intimate taproom featuring finely crafted local beer
- Huss Brewing Co Uptown Taproom – carrying craft beers from the Scottsdale Blonde to the Koffee Kolsch, you’re bound to find one you’ll enjoy
**Be a courteous hiker and carry CANS rather than glass**
– ‘A’ Mountain on Mill Ave –
‘A’ Mountain is a 0.9 mile out and back trail located in Tempe, Arizona featuring beautiful views of Tempe Town Lake and Mill Avenue.
HIKING LEVEL: Easy
A variety of bars and restaurants run along Mill Avenue offering an abundance of craft beers to choose from. Here is a list of my top three favorite places to grab a brew and a burger near/on Mill Avenue:
- Pedal Haus Brewery – local craft brewery serving delicious comfort foods
- The Handlebar – local ‘dive’ bar offering local drafts, bottles and more
- The Lodge Sasquatch Kitchen – woodsy cabin featuring hard to find craft beers and grub
– Hole in the Rock –
Hole in the Rock Trail is a breezy 0.3 mile out and back trail located in Papago Park next to the Phoenix Zoo.
Though the hike may be short and easy it offers a great view of not only the surrounding cities, but the scenic picnic area below. Expect to see running trails, wild animals, fishing lagoons and beautiful greenery all around.
HIKING LEVEL: Easy
Any suggestions on a local brewery near this hike? Send them over to my Instagram @southwestsampler
– Camelback Mountain –
The most renowned hike in the Phoenix area would have to be Camelback Mountain. This hike incorporates two separate trails that conjoin at the peak of the mountain with views of all Downtown Phoenix, Tempe, North Scottsdale and more. The two trails included are Cholla Trail and Echo Canyon Trail.
HIKING LEVEL: Hard
From views of the city to views of the mountain, the dog-friendly patio of OhSo Brewery gives you an awing feeling as you sip on a cold beer and gaze back at the massive mountain you just succeeded in hiking.
– In the Know –
YOUR MUST HAVE HIKING GEAR:
- Camelbak or backpack
- Water – two or more bottles
- Snacks – check out Trailfoody for delicious new hiking snacks
- Proper shoes – I highly recommend the Saucony Trail Running shoes
- Hiking Poles – I prefer Montem hiking poles; its dark, you don’t want to lose your footing.
Create a new “happy hour” for yourself – then go enjoy a well deserved drink!
xoxo ♥ AB